If you are looking for a future in politics/government, organizing, or advocacy, this internship experience will help you develop tools for your future career by making professional connections, learning valuable new skills, and reaching real, achievable goals!
U.S. Representative Scott Taylor (R-VA-02) is looking for full and part-time interns to assist in the daily operations of the Washington, D.C. and Virginia Beach Offices. Internship periods typically run the length of a school semester, however schedules can be made flexible to accommodate school and extracurricular activities. Please note that internships are unpaid, but our office is responsive to college credit requirements. For further details, please contact our internship coordinators.
The application process is competitive. We are looking for civic minded students with strong GPA’s and the intellectual curiosity required to represent all of the Congressman’s constituents. Political experience is not required. Diversity of thought, background, and academic study is strongly encouraged.
- To gain a fuller understanding of public service and learn the primary responsibilities of a U.S. Representative to his or her district.
- To learn how a representative effectively understands and responds to the needs and concerns of their constituents.
- To develop the proper etiquette in serving and conversing with constituents.
- To learn how various federal laws and policies affect local citizens in VA02.
- To learn about issues unique to VA02 and learn how Rep. Taylor and his office serve military families and veterans
- Mail & the Franking Process (incoming/outgoing)
- Filing, IQ/Data entry
- Minding Phones & Engaging Constituents
- Assisting in the opening of Casework
- Special Projects as assigned by Staff
- 250 List Updates/Scanning Business Cards
- Researching District Events
- Attending/Staffing Events
How To Apply
- Washington, D.C. Office - Please download our internship application form. Once completed, please e-mail the document, along with a resume and cover letter, to our D.C. Internship Coordinator, Julia Trent at Julia.Trent@mail.house.gov.
- Virginia Beach Office - Please download our internship application form. Once completed, please e-mail the document, along with a resume, to our District Internship Coordinator, Jaquelyn Murray at Hannah.From@mail.house.gov.
For questions concerning program requirements or duration, please contact the corresponding office and ask to speak with our Internship Coordinator.